The WSYMCA is searching for an Aquatics Director to join our Aquatics team at our upcoming Wells Ave location! This role will have a huge impact on developing our Aquatics department at a new location.
Great benefits included, 12% retirement contribution once vested, FREE family membership, diverse and inclusive work environment - be a changemaker working for a mission-driven organization!
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Aquatics Director intentionally fosters a cause-centered culture that is welcoming, genuine, hopeful, nurturing, and determined while also managing high-quality, member-focused aquatics programs.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
MEMBER SERVICE STATEMENT:
Members are the heart of this organization. They are the reason we exist. Members are the most important visitors we have, whether they visit by mail, phone or in person. They are not statistics and always deserve our respect. No matter what we are hired to do, satisfying member’s needs and wants are everyone’s first and most important responsibility.
- Develops, implements, and manages operating plans to promote program and/or membership growth for the YMCA. Executes strategies to ensure that members and/or program participants connect with one another and connect with the YMCA.
- Monitors daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health and safety regulations and conducts and ensures proper maintenance of pools. Maintains accurate records of pool chemical levels and facility maintenance. Ensures that program standards are met and safety procedures are followed.
- Recruits and hires diverse staff and volunteer teams across multiple dimensions of diversity. Onboards and develops them for success. Conducts lifeguarding, swim instruction, First Aid and CPR trainings. Ensures records of staff certifications are current and complete.
- Models relationship-building skills in all interactions. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations. Maintains regular, clear, and concise communication within area of responsibility.
- Active support of our DEIB statement and putting into practice our commitment to equity, diversity, belonging and inclusion. Continue to think about strategies to support diversity goals of the organization.
- Manages the program, including developing and monitoring the program budget to meet fiscal objectives; compiling program statistic to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of and participation in program; securing and scheduling the pool facilities; and creating and scheduling the classes, practices and meets.
- Develops and controls department budgets related to the position.
- Ensures growth of the YMCA through program expansion, pricing strategies and collaborations.
- Provides leadership and support to the annual fundraising campaign and volunteer committees/ boards as assigned. Develops and maintains effective working relationships within the community.
- Ensures high quality member-focused programs through innovative program development, evaluations and on-going training, support and mentoring of staff.
- Coordinates special events and activities (World’s Largest Swim Lesson and Safety Around Water, Dive-In Movies), including volunteer opportunities.
- Provides data and reports as required for assigned programs, committees, Board of Directors and the President/CEO.
- Implements and oversees a program evaluation system to guarantee faithfulness to the Y’s cause, and a high-quality commitment to YMCA standards.
- Creates and schedules swim classes, water fitness classes, and swim team practices and meets.
- Manages the CPR and First Aid certification process for staff and members. Works with American Red Cross for online training modules.
- Ensure cleanliness of pool areas daily, hosing deck, brushing down walls, cleaning staff office, putting equipment away in storage closet neatly, inspecting pool area and reporting all problems appropriately.
- Properly and timely open and close pool as scheduled.
- Assist in the marketing and distribution of program information.
- Assists in oversight, when needed, on-site and off-site aquatics facilities.
- Bachelor's degree in human services, social services, recreation, business or equivalent preferred.
- Four or more years of progressive program management experience, preferably in an aquatics center for a YMCA or other nonprofit agency (e.g. Aquatics coordinator or Asst. Director).
- Must be able to demonstrate proficiency of swim skills in accordance with YMCA standards and have a strong foundation in stroke mechanics.
- Ability to direct programs through supervision of volunteers and staff, development and monitoring of budgets, marketing and public relations, program development and fund-raising.
- Committing to support and further our anti-racist work as an organization. Learning about our initiatives and the continuous work and being able to vocalize with members if needed.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Proven track record of developing authentic and deepened relationships with others.
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborations with community organizations.
- Minimum age of 21.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Suite, and experience in learning/using other office systems (financial, member management, etc.)
- Within 30 days of hire: Completion of YMCA aquatics training and trainer certifications Within 60 days of hire: Pool Operator Certification, required OSHA training.
- YMCA Team Leader or Multi-team/Branch Leader certification preferred.
- Certifications: LGI, WSI, LG, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, First Aid and Emergency Oxygen. Narcan Training.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer for extended periods of time and be able to communicate using a computer and phone/smart device. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions of position and to supervise program activities.
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility.
- Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
The WSYMCA rewards dedicated employees by offering a competitive benefits package that includes paid vacation & holidays, group health with vision & drug prescription, dental & life insurance, paid retirement once vested, YMCA membership, access to child care services, tuition reimbursement and professional development opportunities.
The West Suburban YMCA is a charitable organization that welcomes all by creating a community that hires individuals of any age, race, gender, religion, heritage, economic circumstance, or physical ability. We focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility to ensure all children, adults and families are healthy, confident and connected.