The WSYMCA is seeking a Development Assistant to join our team! The ideal candidate will be organized, detail-oriented, flexible, and ready to learn, and enjoys working independently as well as in a group. While many of the responsibilities of this position are logistical and administrative in nature, there is room to grow in this role and a successful Development Assistant will take initiative to complete projects to their fullest and will be a creative problem solver. This position will begin as 12-15 hours/week. FREE MEMBERSHIP! Apply today!
The Development Assistant provides administrative and logistical guidance to support the growth of fundraising efforts across the organization. This position will focus on database management and donor communications and will also provide support to other development activities, such as events, grant-writing, stewardship, and the upcoming capital campaign as needed.
- Tracks all gifts and pledges by source and purpose and provides reports as needed.
- Ensures that gift acknowledgements are sent out in a timely manner.
- Creates and distributes to various audiences key donor communications pieces including bimonthly newsletter, blog posts, and social media posts
- Supports staff in their own fundraising efforts (ex. Teams campaign, departmental events).
- Manage banner program for donors of $1000+ including communication with new and lapsed donors and banner design.
- Contributes to Association efforts in communications and public relations, and ensures members, participants and the community understand the case for support as the West Suburban YMCA as a charity.
- Support grant writing and reporting
- Support the planning and execution of annual events (golf tournament, banner breakfasts, Gala, social events, Board parties, donor recognition events, annual meeting, etc.)
- Attend and contribute to weekly departmental meetings and monthly All Staff Meetings
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree with at least two years of related experience preferred, or equivalent life experience
- Demonstrated success and experience in project management
- Advanced knowledge of computers and systems, including Microsoft Suite (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), current member management system (CCC), and Salesforce, and comfort learning new technology
- Familiarity with Creative Cloud/Adobe products preferred
- Understanding of the nature and purpose of the YMCA and the respective roles of volunteers, donors and staff
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) are needed, including the ability to interact with and motivate donors, community leaders, and staff, and write compelling letters/proposals for support.
- An ability to work collaboratively within a complex and fast-paced team environment is critical.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people (staff and donors) from all social and economic segments of the community; track record of building authentic, constructive relationships with others
- Demonstrated history of analyzing data to draw conclusions
- Knowledge/clear understanding of fundraising techniques and strategies
- Strong project management skills; ability to work efficiently and meet deadlines in a cross-functional, team-based environment
- Ability to work independently and in a team, and take initiative to advance the Y’s mission.
- Must be available to work a varied schedule as business functions demand
- YMCA Team Leader certification preferred
- Commitment to the WSYMCA’s Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging statement through ongoing education and in practice.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
The West Suburban YMCA is a charitable organization that welcomes all by creating a community that hires individuals of any age, race, gender, religion, heritage, economic circumstance, or physical ability. We focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility to ensure all children, adults and families are healthy, confident and connected.