Samaritans envisions a world without suicide. Our mission is to prevent suicide and offer hope and support to those affected. For nearly 50 years, Samaritans has provided lifesaving suicide prevention services in Massachusetts.
Samaritans is known for its innovative approach to serving the community and provides a full range of suicide prevention, intervention and postvention services. An extended community education and outreach program increases the public knowledge on this issue. Phone, text, and chat-based crisis services are provided to support those in distress. Support groups and personal visits assist people and families impacted by suicide loss in their grieving and healing process.
Samaritans’ employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an approved medical or religious exemption. An offer is contingent upon proof that the candidate is fully vaccinated or qualifies for an exemption. Currently our office is re-open on a hybrid schedule with an average of 2 days per week in office, after a period of onboarding for new hires.
POSITION REPORTS TO
Chief Development Officer
MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY FOR
Proposal writer (contract position)
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Director of Corporate & Foundation Relations will be a key member of our growing, dynamic team of development professionals. Having recently completed a new strategic plan, Samaritans welcomes a talented development professional to help maximize engagement from the corporate and foundation philanthropic community throughout Massachusetts to support a multi-million dollar growth capital campaign, as well as the organization’s annual programs and operations. This position will have the opportunity to steward existing relationships and develop strong philanthropic partnerships with corporations and foundations to help Samaritans achieve its mission and program goals. This position works closely with the Chief Development Officer as well as program and event staff. Strong relationship management and writing experience with a proven track record of accessing 5- and 6-figure programmatic grants and sponsorships is required. This position will help leverage more than $1M annually from mission-aligned institutional supporters.
The ability to connect with the mission, vision and values of Samaritans is vital; familiarity with the issue of suicide prevention is a plus.
- Work strategically with the Chief Development Officer and development and event staff to set goals, priorities, and direction for corporate and foundation relations at Samaritans;
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across the organization to identify needs, priorities, gaps in funding, and growth opportunities that have the potential to attract programmatic grant and sponsorship funding, including attending program and leadership staff meetings as needed;
- Research and identify funding sources and prospects among foundations, mission-aligned corporations, and participants in our suicide prevention workshops;
- Identify key decision-makers and supporters within prospective partner organizations; initiate and manage relationships;
- Leverage board and volunteer leaders’ assistance in opening doors, making introductions, and providing endorsements to support Samaritans’ funding requests;
- Build a strong business case for corporations to partner with us by making programmatic grants or event sponsorships;
- For event sponsors, encourage the greatest level of participation possible through excellence in prospect cultivation, donor stewardship, and effective solicitation. Fulfill sponsorship benefits as necessary;
- Personally solicit support from corporate decision makers and foundation program officers and trustees;
- Proactively reach out to engage prospective grant makers and event sponsors to deepen relationships; Attend corporate/foundation and community events to raise awareness of Samaritans programs and identify prospective funders;
- Collaborate with finance and program staff to develop budgets, craft goals, and set strategies for proposals;
- Lead corporate/foundation site visits, meetings and other targeted contact with donors and prospects. Coordinate logistics, presentations, and participants that effectively conveys the impact of our work;
- Manage the preparation and submission of concept papers/LOIs, proposals, attachments and reports in a timely fashion, working with a contracted proposal writer. Ensure deadlines are met including lead time review by others including program team members, finance, CDO, and others;
- Participate in the success of the growth capital campaign to raise funding to scale Samaritans by capitalizing the strategic plan’s goals;
- Contribute to development team and overall organizational team efforts; attend weekly development team meetings;
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT/ PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORKING CONDITIONS
- Minimum 5-7 years of development experience with a proven track record of success; at least 2 years outward-facing relationship management and 2 years of proposal writing experience;
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and presentation); Exceptional interpersonal skills: articulate, outgoing, engaging, and professional demeanor;
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with program staff and leadership;
- Experience with corporate/foundation or donor solicitation and cultivation strategies;
- Experienced writer, proofreader, and editor with ability to prepare clear and concise materials;
- Strong research skills. Ability to analyze funding requirements and align grant request with mission and priorities;
- Strong grasp of budgets and financial information; experience developing program budgets;
- Strong organizational, project management, problem solving, and time management skills, including attention to detail;
- Expertise with Microsoft platform and software (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, SharePoint), CRM software such as Salesforce, online grant platforms/systems;
- Ability to work with sensitive and confidential material;
- Knowledge of the field of suicide and suicide prevention a plus.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Some travel may be required for meetings and events;
- Flexibility in meeting demands and remaining positive during interactions is essential;
- Flexibility in working hours appropriate for donor events is required;
- Successfully completes the staff befriending training;
- Operates independently but functions well as a member of a team;
- Flexibility and ability to succeed in a fast-paced environment within a complex organization.
HOW TO APPLY
- Starting at $85,000
- Employer matched 401(k) Plan
- Health (Samaritans covers 85% of premium), Dental (Samaritans covers 90% of premium) and Vision insurance
- Healthcare and Childcare FSA, Commuter Benefits and Employee Assistance Program
- Generous Vacation (New hires start with 10 days), Sick (8 days) and Personal Time Off (5 days)
- Paid Family Medical Leave benefits
- 14 paid holidays
- Direct deposit payroll
Please send your resume (saved as Lastname_resume) and cover letter* (saved as Lastname_coverletter) addressed to the hiring manager, explaining your interest in the position, and how you learned about this opportunity. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Corporate & Foundation Relations” in the subject line. *Applications that are missing a resume or cover letter may not be considered.
To learn more about Samaritans, please see: http://www.samaritanshope.org
Samaritans is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. Candidates of color, bilingual, and bicultural candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religious belief, sex, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, creed, national origin, disability status, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic information or in any other category protected under the law.