Samaritans, Inc. is the leading suicide prevention organization in Massachusetts, providing lifesaving services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Samaritans’ purpose is to alleviate despair, isolation, distress and suicidal feelings among individuals in our community; to educate the public about suicide prevention; and to reduce the stigma associated with suicide. For over 40 years, Samaritans volunteers – selected, trained and supported by a dedicated professional staff – have provided compassionate and non-judgmental support free of charge for callers to its Helplines.
Samaritans’ volunteers and staff now provide a full range of suicide prevention, intervention, and postvention services through community education and outreach; a phone and text-based crisis service Helpline for those in distress; and grief support groups and personal visits which assist families impacted by a suicide loss in their grieving and healing process. This growing organization provides services that make our communities healthier and happier and provides a working environment that celebrates the positive and lifesaving work that occurs here each and every day.
POSITION REPORTS TO
Director of Crisis Services
ABOUT THE POSITION
Under the direction of the Director of Crisis Services, the Helpline Operations Coordinator is responsible for the day-to-day monitoring of the call center operations. This includes ensuring that the helpline is properly staffed (volunteer and paid staff) for Helpline and Textline services.
CALL CENTER RESPONSIBILITIES
DATA MAINTENANCE AND REPORTING
- Reviews contact center reports and informs the Director of Crisis Services of any issues and trends impacting key performance metrics
- Compiles data from the contact center reports for weekly internal audit review
- Periodically monitors call center ensuring scheduled volunteer shift compliance
- Provide basic troubleshooting around technology issues to existing volunteers and current trainees and helpline staff
- Supports Crisis Services as a liaison between the team and the relevant providers (such as iCarol, Intermedia and CTS) in conjunction with the Program Directors
- Responsible for staffing helpline if volunteers are not available to ensure 24/7 service as directed by Director of Crisis Services
KEY QUALIFICATIONS & CHARACTERISTICS
- Supports the maintenance of accurate volunteer, shift information, and call reports in iCarol
- Compiles, analyzes, and reports on helpline metrics to internal and external audiences for purposes of continuous service level enhancement, funding, and in partnership with other organizations and state agencies
- Uses surveys, data dashboards, database reports to support the monitoring and evaluation of the helpline
- Maintains accurate volunteer information in CRM (Salesforce) including training data from LMS (LearnUpon)
- Responsible for ensuring all volunteers and staff have the proper access to the systems needed to perform their duties
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 2-4 years of professional experience in a social services or public health agency preferred
- Knowledge of the field of suicide and suicide prevention a plus
- Ability to communicate, relate and interact positively and effectively with others at all levels within and outside the organization
- Adept at interacting with others in person, over the phone, on zoom, or via email
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to interact and resolve conflict effectively
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to maximize teamwork across the organization
- Proficiency in Word, Excel required
- Experience with Salesforce or other Customer Relationships Systems preferred
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary will start at $48,000
- Successful completion of the 26-hour Volunteer Befriender Training on the helpline after hire
- Assists with the recruitment of helpline volunteers as directed by the Director of Crisis Services
- Responsible for staffing text/chat or phone if volunteers are not available to ensure 24/7 service
- Participate in the on-call rotation with 5-7 other members of the Crisis Services Team
- Supports Volunteer Training Program by facilitating role plays when needed
- Maintains and updates volunteer website
- When working in the office, responsible for the Crisis Services room including its cleanliness and availability of necessary materials for volunteers to properly befriend, document calls, and texts and make referrals
- Flexibility in meeting demands and remaining positive during interactions is essential
- Flexibility in working hours appropriate for responsibility for 24/7-hour services required. (Includes weekends and holidays)
- Attends conferences and other related meetings outside of the organization as requested by supervisor
- Support and attend Samaritans key fundraising events
- Other responsibilities as assigned by Supervisor
- Employer matched 401(k) Plan
- Short and Long-Term Disability coverage as well as Life Insurance
- Health, Dental and Vision insurance
- Healthcare and Childcare FSA, Commuter Benefits and Employee Assistance Program
- Generous Vacation (New hires start with 10 days), Sick (8 days) and Personal Time Off (5 days)
- Paid Family Medical Leave benefits
- 14 paid holidays
- Direct deposit payroll
Samaritans’ employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an approved medical or religious exemption. An offer is contingent upon proof that the candidate is fully vaccinated or qualifies for an exemption. All employees are working a hybrid schedule with an average of 2 days per week in the office, after a period of onboarding for new hires.
**Out of state applicants will be required to relocate to Massachusetts within six months of employment and also work the same hybrid schedule as all employees.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume (saved as Lastname_resume) and brief cover letter* (saved as Lastname_coverletter) explaining your interest in the position, and how you learned about this opportunity. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Helpline Operations Coordinator” in the subject line.
*Applications that are missing a resume or cover letter may not be considered.
To learn more about Samaritans, please visit: samaritanshope.org
Samaritans is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. Candidates of color, bilingual, and bicultural candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.