Samaritans, Inc. is the leading suicide prevention organization in Massachusetts, providing lifesaving services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Samaritans’ purpose is to alleviate despair, isolation, distress and suicidal feelings among individuals in our community; to educate the public about suicide prevention; and to reduce the stigma associated with suicide. For over 40 years, Samaritans volunteers – selected, trained and supported by a dedicated professional staff – have provided compassionate and non-judgmental support free of charge for callers to its Helplines.
Samaritans’ volunteers and staff now provide a full range of suicide prevention, intervention, and postvention services through community education and outreach; a phone and text-based crisis service Helpline for those in distress; and grief support groups and personal visits which assist families impacted by a suicide loss in their grieving and healing process. This growing organization provides services that make our communities healthier and happier and provides a working environment that celebrates the positive and lifesaving work that occurs here each and every day.
POSITION REPORTS TO
Director of Crisis Services
MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY FOR
Volunteers and interns who work on the 24-hour helpline
ABOUT THE POSITION
One of Samaritans’ core program areas is our 24-hour crisis helpline. Under the direction of the Director of Crisis Services the Volunteer Recruitment and Onboarding Coordinator’s role is to recruit, onboard and support adult and teen volunteers to insure 24/7 coverage of our helpline so that the agency can fulfill its mission of serving the isolated, despairing, and suicidal through compassionate and non-judgmental listening.
Volunteer Recruitment, Onboarding, Scheduling and Coordination
KEY QUALIFICATIONS & CHARACTERISTICS
- Works with other program Coordinators as appropriate to support the successful ongoing recruitment of prospective volunteers – including reviewing publicity materials, attendance at fairs/events, participating in recruitment events and facilitating group information sessions.
- Collaborates with other program Coordinators on the process of orienting, interviewing, completing reference checks and recommends acceptance/rejection of Helpline Volunteer applicants, as well as enrolls accepted applicants into upcoming training classes.
- Assesses and cross-references the availabilities of new volunteers with the helplines’ current needs and assigns them shifts on a long-term schedule
- Periodically monitors the call center ensuring scheduled volunteer shift compliance
- Responds to and addresses volunteer concerns and needs regarding their helpline experience, and provide one-one coaching as needed
- Coordinates and manages the volunteer shift supervisor schedules including recruitment and training
- Supports other college internship and service-related programs including their recruitment, supervisor assignment and evaluations
- Serves as the liaison for the PULSE program (Boston College Service-Learning Program), ensuring effective communication with PULSE staff
- Maintains current and accurate volunteer records and files through Salesforce and iCarol
- Other duties as assigned to support overall Helpline operations and continuous improvement
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 2-4 years of professional experience in a social services or public health agency
- Knowledge of the field of suicide and suicide prevention a plus.
- Experience recruiting and managing volunteers preferred
- Ability to communicate, relate and interact effectively with others at all levels both inside and outside the organization
- Adept at interacting with others in person, over the phone, on zoom, or via email
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality
- Must be highly relational and able to build trusting relationships with volunteers that foster loyalty and commitment to the organization
- Ability to interact and resolve conflict effectively
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to maximize teamwork across the organization
- Proficiency in Word and Excel required
- Experience with Salesforce or other Customer Relationships Systems preferred
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary for this position starts at $48,000
- Successful completion of the 26-hour Volunteer Befriender Training after hire
- Responsible for staffing text/chat or phone if volunteers are not available to ensure 24/7 service
- Participate in the on-call rotation to support to volunteers for urgent situations in rotation with 5-7 other members of the Crisis Services Team
- Support monthly volunteer training by facilitating role plays
- Flexibility in working hours appropriate to meet responsibilities including weekends and holidays is required
- Flexibility in meeting demands and remaining positive during interactions is essential
- Support and attend Samaritans key fundraising events
- Attends conferences and other related meetings outside of the organization as requested by supervisor
- When working in the office, responsible for the Crisis Services room including its cleanliness and availability of necessary materials for volunteers to properly befriend, document calls, and texts and make referrals
- Other responsibilities as assigned by supervisor
Samaritans’ employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an approved medical or religious exemption. An offer is contingent upon proof that the candidate is fully vaccinated or qualifies for an exemption. All employees are working a hybrid schedule with an average of 2 days per week in the office, after a period of onboarding for new hires.
**Out of state applicants will be required to relocate to Massachusetts within six months of employment and also work the same hybrid schedule as all employees.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume (saved as Lastname_resume) and brief cover letter* (saved as Lastname_coverletter) explaining your interest in the position, and how you learned about this opportunity. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “volunteer recruitment and onboarding coordinator” in the subject line.
*Applications that are missing a resume or cover letter may not be considered.
To learn more about Samaritans, please visit: www.samaritanshope.org
Samaritans is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. Candidates of color, bilingual, and bicultural candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Employer matched 401(k) Plan
- Short and Long-Term Disability coverage as well as Life Insurance
- Health (Samaritans covers 85% of premium), Dental (Samaritans covers 90% of premium) and Vision insurance
- Healthcare and Childcare FSA, Commuter Benefits and Employee Assistance Program
- Generous Vacation (New hires start with 10 days), Sick (8 days) and Personal Time Off (5 days)
- Paid Family Medical Leave benefits
- 14 paid holidays
- Direct deposit payroll