The WSYMCA is searching for a Sports Coordinator to join our Team!
Great benefits included, 12% retirement contribution once vested, FREE family membership, diverse and inclusive work environment - be a changemaker working for a mission-driven organization!
The Sports Coordinator develops, organizes and implements high quality youth sports programs. They are responsible for assisting in the planning, development, implementation, expansion and evaluation of all youth and adult sport programs and coordinating birthday parties. Ability to efficiently schedule and coordinate multiple leagues including Youth and Men’s Basketball League. The Sports Coordinator position deals with direct service, responsible for teaching sports classes and coaching teams. The principle objective will be to develop these programs and services in order to fulfill the YMCA’s mission. This position works with the day camp, Camp Pikati, as a Unit Leader in the summer.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
MEMBER SERVICE STATEMENT:
Members are the heart of this organization. They are the reason we exist. Members are the most important visitors we have, whether they visit by mail, phone or in person. They are not statistics and always deserve our respect. No matter what we are hired to do, satisfying member’s needs and wants are everyone’s first and most important responsibility.
- Directs and supervises program activities to meet YMCA objectives. Expands youth sports program within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans.
- Active support of our DEIB statement and putting into practice our commitment to equity, diversity, belonging and inclusion. Continue to research, create, recommend and implement strategies to support diversity goals of the organization.
- Transports and sets up equipment for games and practices; monitors and purchases necessary sporting equipment as budget permits.
- Creates teams from paid and financially assisted registrations. Organizes and conducts parent orientation meetings, and training and meetings for coaches.
- Develops and distributes team practice and game schedules; trains and schedules sports officials; develops and distributes sports rules, guidelines and handbooks. Coordinating all aspects of sports youth & adult leagues and birthday parties.
- Assists in purchasing and distributing team uniforms and awards; coordinates and distributes team photographs.
- Organizes and conducts sports clinics, teaches instructional classes, coaching teams, officiating games, lead rental groups, and all admin associated with birthday parties.
- Assists in the marketing and distribution of youth sports program information, may organize and schedule program registrations.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
- Assists in YMCA fund raising activities and special events.
- Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely and professional manner with high levels of customer service.
- Coordination of birthday parties, when needed.
- Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in program.
- Fills in when needed as van driver, using YMCA van to drive children from Newton schools to YMCA.
- Over-seeing summer clinics and camps, including being a Unit Leader for Camp Pikati.
- Youth and Men’s’ League Responsibilities:
- Communicate with team captains and league members through email.
- Expand the number of league participants through networking and relationship building.
- Supervise league games, as well as sports staff on duty.
- Ensure that all players are registered and have made payment before playing in the league.
- Coordination of stats and scheduling of League Games.
- Ensure that the West Suburban YMCA Adult Basketball League Rules are followed by all participants. Enforce penalties if rules are not followed.
- Report any unusual happenings, complaints, and accidents to Association Athletic Director Completes and submits to accurate incident reports regardless of nature and severity.
- Coordinate with Referees for all games.
- Creative planning for expansion of possible leagues outside of the Y (inter YMCA league/All-Star Game).
- Provide men’s league rosters to the front desk.
- Maintain equipment to be used for future leagues and classes.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent preferred or work experience equivalent.
- Minimum one-year related experience preferred, including experience in successfully running leagues.
- CPR and First Aid Certifications.
- Good role model, high integrity and professionalism, and adaptable.
- Committing to support and further our anti-racist work as an organization. Actively works to continue to recruit and hire diverse staff and volunteers.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Completion of YMCA program-specific certifications, such as Team Leader certification.
- Personal computer skills and experience with standard business software.
- Dynamic personality with a skill set that is able to motivate the program participants to learn team work, values of the Y when playing a sport, and improvement of skill sets.
- Holds or is willing to apply for 7D License to help with transportation of children to our programs.
- Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise program activities in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor locations.
- Climbing, crouching, standing, sitting on floor, kneeling, swimming, carrying (50 lbs), pushing, lifting (50 lbs) and walking.
The WSYMCA rewards dedicated employees by offering a competitive benefits package that includes paid vacation & holidays, group health with vision & drug prescription, dental & life insurance, paid retirement once vested, YMCA membership, access to child care services, tuition reimbursement and professional development opportunities.
The West Suburban YMCA is a charitable organization that welcomes all by creating a community that hires individuals of any age, race, gender, religion, heritage, economic circumstance, or physical ability. We focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility to ensure all children, adults and families are healthy, confident and connected.