The WSYMCA is seeking an experienced Staff Accountant to join our team! Want to work for a well-known community organization that gives back to its members every day? Apply today!
This position, under the direction of the Chief Finance Officer, will provide support to the organization’s finance and business operations, ensuring the accuracy and integrity of the accounting and reporting systems as well as the maintenance of internal controls; day to day accounting procedures, month-end close and ad hoc projects and reporting as necessary.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Maintains daily processing and posting of cash receipts, including cash, checks & credit card charges.
- Deposit Cash and Checks to the daily. (Shared Responsibility with other Accounting Department Staff).
- Reconciles individual staff activity to the daily sales reports and resolves variances and post to accounting system.
- Reconciles credit card activity to the daily sales report and to the credit card processing agencies and resolves variances.
- Prepares journal entries of the daily sales activities and posts to the General Ledger (SGA). Responsible for consistent use of and appropriate postings to General Ledger accounts.
- Maintains daily processing and posting of other accounting transactions as needed.
- Provides guidance and training to users of operational software to ensure timely and accurate transactional and accounting data.
- Prepares and sends invoices for contract-based receivables.
- Analyzes, reconciles, and reviews all Balance Sheet accounts.
- Maintain fixed assets database.
- Download and save all bank statements to the Finance Drive
- Maintains a system of managing vouchers and gift certificates for donations.
- Runs all monthly and year end closing procedures for member management system.
- Run in Deferred Revenue Reports at month end and year end and create and post entries as appropriate.
- Assists with the calculation of Accounts Receivable at month end and year end.
- Assists with month end and year end close.
- Assists in the preparation of analysis and schedules for the annual audit.
- Runs bi-monthly Bank Draft/Credit Card Draft and process returns.
- Runs bi-monthly credit card updater.
- Submits Positive Pay as needed and responds to related issues from bank.
- Reconciles and submits payroll entries into Y retirement system.
- Reconcile the 941s quarterly.
- Provides backup support for Payroll, Accounts Payable and NCP bookkeeping.
- Assists when needed to monitor and track employee certifications and trainings.
- Other administrative or accounting duties as directed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or equivalent
- Minimum of two or more years’ experience in accounting. A/P, A/R, statement preparation.
- Personal computer skills and knowledge of computer technology including computerized accounting systems.
- Utilizes an automated accounting system and spreadsheets to accomplish the proper recording, measuring, and reporting of transactions.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Word, & Outlook).
- Requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to interface and communicate effectively with all levels of organization and customers.
- Ability to prioritize in an environment that has substantial fluctuations in volume. Detail oriented and excellent organizational skills: accuracy is essential.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Knowledge and understanding of accounting processes and accrual accounting.
- Knowledge and understanding of general business matters.
- Experience with voluntary/non-profit organizations preferred.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
The WSYMCA rewards dedicated employees by offering a competitive benefits package that includes paid vacation & holidays, group health with vision & drug prescription, dental & life insurance, paid retirement once vested, YMCA membership, access to child care services, tuition reimbursement and professional development opportunities.
The West Suburban YMCA is a charitable organization that welcomes all by creating a community that hires individuals of any age, race, gender, religion, heritage, economic circumstance, or physical ability. We focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility to ensure all children, adults and families are healthy, confident and connected.
*After completing the application process, you will have the opportunity to complete your Talent Profile by joining our Talent Community!